Sunday, February 10, 2008

Ode to The Man in Black

Never had a chance to meet the man but his words and voice left an impression. My stepfather loved Cash. I remember listening to Ring of Fire on the stereo... over and over ...

Most recently, I salvaged his last cd demo (before I knew it was to be the last) from the toss pile at a radio station (not the format) and fell in love with his open, direct, guiless approach.

Here was a man in need of redemption; his offering spoke volumes. To be honest, I first heard this song from the Blind Boys from Alabama but it seemed tailor made for Cash. The lyrics are haunting, echoing long after the sound eminating from the cd player has ceased. Johnny Cash... the Man in Black... out with a Bang --- Grammy Winner --- still stirring the pot...

No comments: