Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Light reading ...or not? Morpheus and Modoc

If history were taught in the form of stories, it would never be forgotten.
Rudyard Kipling

The interview with D. J. MacHale was fun. Didn't hurt that I really enjoyed his book! The only downside: waiting for book two in the trilogy - due out next year! Morpeus Road, The Light, is a great start! No doubt his fans are back on board for this ride.

Last week, in a moment of downtime, I made the Borders run and happened to see a book cover -- when I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. Here's the blog post from PetSense -

Just happened to catch a glimpse of the title on the (Borders) bookshelf over the weekend and sat down to peruse ... ended up staying put to read the whole thing ... wiping tears from my face through the closing dedication. What a wonderful tale.

The story connects on so many heartfelt levels, but the most for me is the metaphysical interlink, mentioned several times, that we are one, and no matter what happens in the physical plane, we are united in spirit - animals and humans. All is one.

Modoc reminds us that humans are not the only beings undergoing a spiritual journey on the earth plane. And the view that animals and humans are kindred spirits produces extraordinary results in extraordinary circumstances.

Review edited from Amazon.com: Modoc is the joint biography of a man and an elephant born in a small German circus town on the same day in 1896. Bram was the son of an elephant trainer, Modoc the daughter of his prize performer. Boy an Elephant grew up devoted to each other. They battled bandits, armed revolutionaries, cruel animal trainers, and greedy circus owners in their quest to stay together. Hollywood animal trainer Ralph Helfer rescued Modoc from ill-treatment and learned her astonishing story when Bram rediscovered her at Helfer's company. His emotional retelling of this true-life adventure epic will make pulses race and bring tears to readers' eyes. --Wendy Smith

And so it does. - wendy garrett

And for some more amazing animal stories of past and present day, read the blog by Ralph Helfer's daughter, Tana : "I endured years of having my tackies (sneakers) torn off and chewed, my pants torn from wrestling around, but I learned everything from my animal family, especially how to be a better HUMAN." - Tana Helfer Herbert

More info -
Recap of a Safari Tour with Ralph Helfer

1 comment:

Tana Helfer Herbert said...

Hi Wendy, I am so happy you read and enjoyed my Dad's book 'Modoc' and Thank you for letting your readers know about my blog. If you can, try finding my mothers Book the 'Gentle Jungle', I am sure you will enjoy it too, unfortunately it has been out of print for some time, but well worth the search.
Take Care, Tana