Monday, July 12, 2010

The Power of Suggestion - Staying present

~ Imagination grows by exercise, and contrary to common belief, is more powerful in the mature than in the young. - W. Somerset Maugham

In my interview with Dr. Tim Brunson, we address the power of suggestion. Given the glut of media we in the western world are exposed to on a daily basis, I wanted to address this component as it relates to the ongoing coverage of the BP oil spill and the Gulf Coast recovery process.

About Dr. Tim --- the short, edited bio from his website: "Starting with NLP back in the early 1990's, I quickly became interested in hypnosis. Then after meeting several of the more elightened psychological and medical professionals, I became seriously interested in mind-body phenomena. This led me to experts in the area of energy psychology and energy medicine, two fields that help explain the totality of our being. --- A career student who has not only taught at two universities, but I've also constantly gone to school and attended numerous conferences. While I love taking on challenges like learning an additional language or learning to fly helicopters, I have migrated from the business world (and the military where I retired as a Army Reserve Colonel) to the almost full time study of mind-body modalities."

Tim's background in the Army Corps of Engineers and as a Gulf Coast state resident also drew me to call on him for this discussion. It doesn't hurt that I have been on his newsletter list for awhile and like the articles. A recent post on the power of suggestion reminded me to address that element as I book my guests for the shows focused on Gulf Coast Recovery.

Whether one is susceptible to suggestion or not the important thing to remember is that we always have the power to choose our focus and our response. When we pay attention, some of the otherwise subtle programming cues are more obvious and we can shift focus to be present enough to flag information that might otherwise have gone around the filter.

Listen to the entire interview on Empower Radio. Contact Tim: TimBrunson.com.

No comments: